Thursday, October 19, 2006

Week One in Japan, Omura


All right…so here’s the plan (just to clue the rest of you in):

I will be writing at least once a week, on the travel day. Then I will post it when I achieve the internet.

SOO…I now have achieved the internet and after much technical difficulties I will be starting with week one in Japan, the city known as OMURA.

Omura, Week 1:

My host family this week consisted of a mother, a father, a brother and a sister who is married and lives close by. She and her husband were always by the house. Between all of them they only spoke a total of about five words (right now I feel like I could beat anyone in a game of charades), it was a lot of fun.

On the host-family day I went fishing out in the Nagasaki Bay.

WOW!!

There were three of us, host-dad, host-brother-in-law and me. We were on one of the smallest little fishing boats I have ever seen, out in the middle of the Bay. I don’t think scared even begins to describe the feeling I was having out on that little boat. But, I eventually got over it and had an amazing time. We caught over 100 fish.

We eventually started packing up to head back. So my host dad starts taking fish out of the tank we were throwing them into and tossing them into a cooler. The bigger ones he holds in both hands and rips the head back, almost completely off, then throws them into the cooler with the rest. (For reasons that seem obvious to me, I flashed onto that awesomely crazy fight scene in the first Kill Bill) There was almost that much fish blood everywhere. But wait, it gets better. He picks one up, is about to continue with his beheading procedure. Then stops, he reaches out, pushing the fish in my general direction with THAT look on his face. You know, the one where the eyebrows go up and the mouth goes down.

Translation into English: “Now it’s your turn”.

So, I can now say that I’ve ripped heads off of over 50 fish…I stopped counting around 30 or so.

They took me out for sushi that night.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Rojas Family said...

Eww...sounds like the old Dr Demento program...
"Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads. Fish heads, fish heads, eat them up. Yumm!"
Sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy the world!

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home